The Outstanding New Advisor Award recognizes and emphasizes excellence in academic advising for advisors serving less than three years at the University of Tennessee. Anyone affiliated with the University (i.e. deans, dept heads, faculty, professional or classified employees or students) may nominate an advisor to receive this award.
- Exempt staff or faculty serving the University in an advising capacity
- An individual serving as an academic advisor for three (3) or fewer years
- Current members of TennACADA Executive Committee are not eligible for consideration for this award. See a list of the Executive Board at http://tennacada.utk.edu/officers/.
The selection committee will evaluate nominations based on the evidence of effective advising qualities and practices distinguishing the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Availability to advisees, faculty, or staff
- Frequency of contact with advisees
- Appropriate referral activity
- Demonstration of a caring attitude toward students
- Use and dissemination of appropriate information sources
- Evidence of student success rate by advisor or department
- Caring, helpful attitude toward advisees, faculty and staff
- Meeting advisees in informal settings
- Participation in and support of intrusive advising to build strong relationships with advisees
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to engage in, promote, and support developmental advising
- Participation in and support of advisor development programs
- Perception by colleagues of nominee’s advising skills
Nominations for the 2017 Outstanding New Advisor Award are being accepted through April 7, 2017. To submit a nomination click here.